Monthly Economic Letter
Here you'll find concise data and clear analysis prepared by our team of economists, including interest rates, economic growth, business credit conditions, and more.
In the current issue:
According to many indicators, the Canadian economy is doing well. Unemployment is at an all-time low, quarterly profits are strong, housing construction is on track, retail sales continue to rise and gross domestic product is growing solidly. Yet, the question of whether the economy will soon enter a recession is of increasing concern to many Canadians. Some economists have already sounded the alarm for 2023. What could trigger the next recession? Could it have already started? Read more
- April 2022—Is the economy headed toward 1970s-style stagflation?
- March 2022—How the war in Ukraine will affect Canada’s economy
- February 2022—After an inflationary surge, will commodity prices stabilize in 2022?
- January 2022—What to watch for in 2022?
- December 2021—Can households sustain Canada’s economic recovery?
- November 2021—Buckle up for the rocky path to energy transition