Seeing the potential in your intellectual property (IP)
As you look to invest in your growth, you need a partner who sees more than hard numbers and assets; one that also considers the potential of your intellectual property.
BDC’s Intellectual Property-Backed Financing solution recognizes the value of your IP strategy to raise capital in support of your commercialization and expansion. Our team of experts delivers funding and guidance to growing companies with:
- Emerging or established registered IP portfolios
- Commercialized offering with at least $1M in revenue over last 12 months
- Ambition and plan to be a global player
$160M financing envelope to support IP development in Canada
The first of its kind in Canada, our $160M fund provides customized, patient capital in the form of debt, quasi-equity and equity to scaling Canadian companies in knowledge-based industries. We will work with companies who have monetized their IP portfolios through product commercialization or licensing arrangements, or both.
- Patient, flexible lending with terms structured to fit your needs
- Convertible notes changing to minority equity investments so you maintain control of your business
- Access to more capital earlier than you would get from a traditional lender
- Strategic guidance from IP experts with extensive experience funding innovative companies
IP-rich SMEs have potential
SMEs holding IP are:
1.6x more likely
to experience high growth
2x more likely
3x more likely
to expand domestically
4.3x more likely
to expand internationally
A team of experts in intellectual property
To support our IP investments, we formed a team under the leadership of Lally Rementilla. She and her colleagues have extensive experience funding innovative companies with intangible assets. They will manage this envelope and facilitate access to strategic advice at scale.
BDC works in collaboration with partners to provide Canadian entrepreneurs an ecosystem to support their growth projects.
Articles and tools
February 25, 2021
BDC Capital provides $2.6M in growth capital to Novarc Technologies in IP Backed-Financing Fund’s first deal
December 17, 2020
Ready to take action?
Discover where your IP can take you.