The Fund Investments team is at the heart of BDC Capital’s effort to develop and enable the venture capital (VC) ecosystem in Canada. We play a leadership role in the VC fund industry and encourage the development of world-class Canadian funds by supporting established and emerging top-tier managers.
What we do
Developing world-class Canadian funds
Our experienced team invests in venture capital and private equity funds that—in turn—invest in innovative, knowledge-based companies, with the objective of creating global technology businesses. These funds are typically industry specific, focusing on:
- Information and communications technology (ICT)
- Energy/cleantech (ECT)
- Emerging technology areas such as agri-tech and natural resource technologies
Diversifying the fund landscape
The Fund Investments team seeks to diversify the Canadian VC fund landscape by identifying and investing in innovative and alternative fund models. To that end, we invest in:
- Company creation platforms that can accelerate business growth and demonstrate a sound investment thesis
- Micro VC funds that have a high franchise potential
We also support and build investment capacity in funds led by emerging managers who can develop fund platforms that bridge the financing gap in the Canadian market.
We take a long-term investment approach and seek to foster relationships with general partners and help funds grow by attracting enough capital to give them a global reach. Potential investment opportunities are selected based on the following criteria:
- Management team
- Investment strategy and target market
- Track record and deal flow
- Appropriate fund size
- A Canadian limited partnership fund structure with standard terms and conditions, with key members of the team based in Canada
Certain news link to external sites and are presented in French only.