Sustainability at BDC
We help Canada and its entrepreneurs create a prosperous, inclusive, green economy. We are committed to empowering business owners of today to build a prosperous future for generations to come. As such, we are aligned with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals and support the objectives of the Paris Agreement for a cleaner, more sustainable future by 2050.
Creating economic, social, and environmental value
Support entrepreneurs in a competitive market
Support diversity, equity, inclusion & well-being
Accompany entrepreneurs to a greener economy
Building a better tomorrow
Meet Sandra Odendahl, BDC’s Senior Vice President and Head, Sustainability and Diversity, who is leading the team responsible for all facets of BDC’s sustainability and ESG programs.
Behind every small- and medium-sized business is a human story – a unique entrepreneur with aspirations and plans. We help them create economic value by providing financing and expert advice that enables them to succeed and grow in a quickly changing business landscape.
We are committed to supporting entrepreneurs through:
- Offering entrepreneurs a variety of kinds of financing for every stage of their companies’ growth.
- Acting as a strategic partner for the country’s most innovative and high-growth businesses through BDC Capital.
- Offering non-financial support and training through BDC Advisory Services.
clients across Canada
estimated jobs created
We believe in active inclusion. To us, this starts with improving diversity among our 72,000 clients and 2,500 employees – but also demands further action. Our programs grow from a commitment to make real, lasting change. We pursue this commitment in a variety of ways, including through our:
- Indigenous Growth Fund
- Black Innovation Fund
- Women in Technology Venture Fund
- Supplier Diversity Program
We work hard to increase the number of Indigenous, Black, women and other underserved entrepreneurs we serve, while promoting equality and fostering a work environment that promotes well-being. We help business owners reach their full potential by:
- Facilitating access to financing.
- Connecting them with networking opportunities and partners.
- Providing inspiring articles, useful tools, and exclusive content.
- Championing their stories as they take their businesses to new levels.
This dedication goes beyond the individual entrepreneurs we support to the people who work at BDC. We’re proud to have been once again named one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
A greener future is on the horizon – we accompany entrepreneurs as they foster and transition to a low-carbon economy in line with Canada’s Paris Agreement goals. Our efforts include:
- Our commitment to reducing our own operational footprint to net zero by 2025.
- Our Cleantech Practice invests in globally competitive cleantech firms as they discover and commercialize ways to combat climate change and pollution.
- We offer information, advice, and tools, notably the B Corp Impact Assessment tool which measures a company’s environmental and social impact.
- Our Venture Capital team backs innovative Canadian companies that are reinventing industries and making them more energy efficient.
Read about our actions
B Corp: The World-Class Tool for Sustainable Entrepreneurs
BDC is Canada’s first B Corp bank and part of a global movement of companies creating local prosperity, strong community and a sustainable environment.
BDC’s 2021 Annual Report
Read our annual report to see how we – through entrepreneurs - contribute to sustainability in Canada.