Sustainability at BDC
We help Canada and its entrepreneurs create a prosperous, inclusive, green economy. We are committed to empowering business owners of today to build a prosperous future for generations to come. As such, we are aligned with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals and support the objectives of the Paris Agreement for a cleaner, more sustainable future by 2050.
Creating economic, social, and environmental value
Support entrepreneurs in a competitive market
Support diversity, equity, inclusion & well-being
Accompany entrepreneurs to a greener economy
Building a better tomorrow
Meet Sandra Odendahl, BDC’s Senior Vice President and Head, Sustainability and Diversity, who is leading the team responsible for all facets of BDC’s sustainability and ESG programs.
Behind every small- and medium-sized business is a human story – a unique entrepreneur with aspirations and plans. We help them create economic value by providing financing and expert advice that enables them to succeed and grow in a quickly changing business landscape.
We are committed to supporting entrepreneurs through:
- Offering entrepreneurs a variety of kinds of financing for every stage of their companies’ growth.
- Acting as a strategic partner for the country’s most innovative and high-growth businesses through BDC Capital.
- Offering non-financial support and training through BDC Advisory Services.
clients across Canada
estimated jobs created
We create social value through the products, services and advice we offer to the vibrant community of Canadian entrepreneurs, through the hard work of our employees, and through a work environment that promotes inclusion and well-being. Our goal is to ensure that no one is left behind.
We are also proud of our ability to facilitate connections and partnerships that build diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) acumen among our stakeholders. We are committed to enabling sustainable, inclusive economic growth and development, and a key component is our DEI initiatives.
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI)
We believe in championing diversity, equity and inclusion – inside and outside our organization.
Our commitment starts internally with a measurable action plan, informed by feedback from our employees and employee resource groups. They help shape our policies, and play a critical role in the success of our DEI initiatives. This engagement is one of the reasons we are consistently recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
We are working to empower entrepreneurs from equity deserving communities through our Client Diversity strategy. Our approach is to listen to what entrepreneurs need, learn by working with organizations that serve these communities, and then act to provide tangible solutions.
- Champion women's entrepreneurship through financing, venture capital investments, partnerships and mentorship.
- Empower women-led tech companies through our $200M Women in Technology Venture Fund.
- Offer the Indigenous Entrepreneur Loan with preferred rates and flexible terms, and gives back to charity.
- Work with partners to provide capital, advice and resources to the Indigenous business community, including $150M Indigenous Growth Fund.
- Invested more than $135 million in dedicated financing and capital solutions to support Black entrepreneurs.
- Work with national and regional partners, we are developing free resources like the Better Together webinar series, completing research and sponsoring events and workshops.
- Develop an inclusive supply chain through our Supplier Diversity Program.
A greener future is on the horizon – we accompany entrepreneurs as they foster and transition to a low-carbon economy in line with Canada’s Paris Agreement goals. Our efforts include:
- Our commitment to reducing our own operational footprint to net zero by 2025.
- Our Cleantech Practice invests in globally competitive cleantech firms as they discover and commercialize ways to combat climate change and pollution.
- We offer information, advice, and tools, notably the B Corp Impact Assessment tool which measures a company’s environmental and social impact.
- Our Venture Capital team backs innovative Canadian companies that are reinventing industries and making them more energy efficient.
Read about our actions
B Corp: The World-Class Tool for Sustainable Entrepreneurs
BDC is Canada’s first B Corp bank and part of a global movement of companies creating local prosperity, strong community and a sustainable environment.
BDC’s 2022 Annual Report
Read our annual report to see how we – through entrepreneurs - contribute to sustainability in Canada.