Manage your business
There's so much involved in running your business. Monitoring your financial performance and maintaining relationships with customers, employees and suppliers are just some of the aspects of business management. Start with small improvements to build momentum for bigger changes.
What challenges are you facing?
Check out the content under the headings below to discover how to keep your business running smoothly.
Improving my business management
There is no magic recipe to help you to better manage your business. However, there are best practices to follow and common pitfalls to avoid that will help you be a more effective manager.
- Productive pandemic: How this entrepreneur used her downtime to build for the future
- How restaurants are adapting to the COVID-19 pandemic
- “You quit you lose”: How this entrepreneur overcame adversity to come out on top
- Restructuring: 7 tips for restoring business profitability
- 7 ways to make your company more successful in 2018 (and beyond)
- Blood and steel: Two sisters successfully take over the family machining business
- Infographic— Future-proof your business by adapting to these six key trends
- How a Newfoundland entrepreneur grew her business from 50 to 750 employees in 15 years
- The art of recycling: Building a sustainable and responsible business
- Infographic— The 5 do's and 5 don'ts of successful businesses
- How effective management is driving growth at JDS Energy and Mining
- Video— From humble beginnings to a 500-employee fish and seafood company
- How trust and openness help family firms thrive
- Video— 5 essential do's and don'ts
- 5 essential do's and don'ts of successful businesses
- 10 things you (probably) didn’t know about Canadian SMEs
- Business agility: 8 steps to improve reaction time
- 5 steps for more successful project management
- 2 valuable business planning tools: Management dashboard and benchmarking
- The 9 essential entrepreneur skills you need to succeed
- How to find the best freelancers for your business
- Working smarter: 3 strategies for improving business productivity
- 7 tips for setting goals for your business plan
- 5 lessons learned from a successful home improvement company
- 7 trade secrets from a successful wholesale company
Finding advice for my business challenges
Nobody can build a company alone. As an entrepreneur, if you’re isolated and not getting outside advice, you may not be making the best decisions for your business.
- 3 steps to becoming a certified B Corp
- How to get the most of a business coach
- Hiring a business consultant: How to maximize your return
- 6 myths about business coaching and the real story
- Finding a mentor: 7 qualities entrepreneurs should look for
- Video— 6 reasons to form an advisory board
- How to choose the right business coach
- Steelworks Design: Build a stronger business with an advisory board
- How an advisory board can boost your business
- Advisory boards: The best kept secret for higher sales
- Business coaching: Advice that's in your corner
- Where to find the advice you need to run a business
- Tips for entrepreneurs on running an effective board
- 7 simple ways to make better business decisions
- How to set up an advisory board to add real value to your business
- From our blog— The World's Climate Leaders Wear a ”B”
Making my business more sustainable
Becoming a good corporate citizen can help you to improve your brand image, increase sales and get an edge over your competitors who haven’t embraced the same sustainable approach.
- From our blog— Create a carbon strategy to gain a competitive advantage for your business
- When environmental concerns guide growth
- Solar-powered beer shows how green energy can pay off for local businesses
- How to build a sustainable business with the B Corp assessment
- Indigenous owned: A business model with a bright future
- Serving others is in this coffee entrepreneur’s DNA
- Combining profitability with sustainability: Difficult but possible
- Greening agriculture: Innovative cleantech is harvesting rapid growth
- Video— Marrying material and impact: Fair Trade Jewellery Co.’s 12-year journey to find ethical gold
- Perfumes for peace: Purposeful entrepreneur does business with a cause
- Build consumer trust with sustainability
- How LEED green building certification can help your business
- Be a good corporate citizen through socially responsible business values
- What is social entrepreneurship?
- 7 simple ways to improve energy efficiency in your building
- 7 tips for putting corporate responsibility at the heart of your business
- From our blog— The Rise of Local: ‘Hopeful Monsters’ Win!
- From our blog— Live from British Columbia: The rise of capitalism 2.0?
- From our blog— Shocker: Investors get purpose. They now want B Corps
- From our blog— When the money isn’t enough: How to measure the beneficial impact of your business
- From our blog— The future is here: How B Corps are transforming corporate social responsibility
Planning for emergencies and disasters
No one can predict the future; however, you can be ready with a sound business continuity plan. Getting a plan in place shows your employees and customers that you are a proactive organization.
- How to protect your commercial property from a fire
- What business insurance do you need?
- 5 tips to minimize the risk of a disaster for your business
- How a business continuity plan helped one company recover from disaster
- Saving a landmark: Robert Risley rebuilds a historic resort
- 8 steps for planning your emergency and disaster plan