Financial relief for entrepreneurs
Learn more about options for accessing credit to support you through to a more stable time.
Support for businesses
Access to credit
100% guaranteed loans of $25,000 to $1 million to cover operational cash flow in response to COVID-19, available through your financial institution until December 31, 2021 (extended).Learn more
Up to $12.5 million for your operational cash flow requirements; available until or before December 31, 2021 (extended).Learn more
EDC Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP) Guarantee
Up to $6.25 million to cover rent, payroll and other operating costs caused by the current crisis; available until or before December 31, 2021 (extended).Learn more
Mid-Market Financing Program
Junior loans ranging between $12.5 million and $60 million for medium-sized businesses particularly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic; available until or before December 31, 2021 (extended).Learn more
Oil and Gas Sector Financing
This program has been merged with the Mid-Market Financing Program.Learn more
Other relief programs
Large Employer Emergency Financing Facility
Bridge financing providing additional liquidity for large businesses whose needs are not being met to keep operations going through conventional financing during the pandemic.Learn more
Regional Relief and Recovery Fund
Additional funds for businesses and organizations unable to access other support measures and impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic in sectors key to the regions and to local economies.Learn more
Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)
Employers may be eligible for a subsidy of 65% of employee wages for up to 24 weeks to re-hire workers laid off as a result of COVID-19. This measure is to help create over 1 million jobs and restore employment to the level it was before the pandemic. The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy is extended until September 25, 2021.Learn more
For questions about BDC’s financing solutions, advisory services or for any other question, write us. One of our representatives will be in touch.
A number of measures, in addition to access to credit, have been put in place through the Government of Canada’s Economic Response Plan to help you through these trying times. We invite you to consult these pages to find out what measure best fits your needs.
Frequently asked questions
Find answers to the most commonly asked questions on the special programs listed on this page, eligibility and processing times during the COVID-19 pandemic.
BDC products and services
What kind of COVID-19 financing is available through BDC?
- If you are already a client, you may be eligible for a postponement of payments for up to 6 months, free of charge (for existing BDC clients with total BDC loan commitment of $1 million or less).
- Canadian venture capital firm-backed companies impacted by COVID-19 who may not qualify for many of the federal government relief measures may be eligible for the BDC Capital Bridge Financing Program launched in collaboration with other venture capital firms. BDC could match a current financing round being raised through qualified existing and/or new investors into an eligible Canadian company with convertible notes starting at $250,000. Click here for details and eligibility criteria.
- We also offer a variety of other products and services aimed at helping Canadian businesses.
Do you offer grants or subsidies?
No. BDC is a commercial bank offering long-term business financing, paid back with interest.
Do you provide financing for start-ups?
To be eligible for BDC financing when your business is at the start-up phase, you must:
- have been in business for at least 12 months,
- be generating revenue,
- demonstrate realistic market and sales potential,
- provide personal or credit references,
- demonstrate a reasonable investment of financial resources, and
- provide a solid business plan.
If you do not meet our eligibility criteria, we invite you to reach out to our partners who may be better positioned to support you with their programs:
- Community Futures
- Delivers small business loans, tools, training and events for people living in rural communities who want to start, expand, franchise or sell a business
- Futurpreneur Canada
- For aspiring business owners aged 18-39 years old
- Up to $60,000, collateral-free loans, with a five-year term
- Interest-only payments in the first year; principal + interest payments in years two to five
- All loan recipients also receive mentorship for two years
How do I know if I am eligible for one of these programs?
In order to be eligible, your business must have been:
- impacted directly or indirectly by recent events, and
- financially viable prior to the impact of COVID-19
Articles and tools
Resources to help your business get back on track.
Get back on track by making your operations more efficient and profitable
Frequent and regular contact keeps employees ‘in the loop’
Tools to project your short- and long-term cash flow, plus articles and quick tips to adjust your cash cycle.
Ready your business to emerge stronger from the COVID-19 crisis.
Are you a BDC client?
We encourage you to reach out to your account manager.
Not a BDC client?
If you’re looking for financing for your business, take a look at our business loans.