June 13, 2010
If you're just starting out, the Starting a Business section from Canada Business is a one-stop introduction to starting a business.
Are you the entrepreneur type?
Will it be profitable?
You may have great ideas and talent, but you should do a quick check of how much it will cost to set up your business and when you can expect it to make a profit (your breakeven point). This start-up costs calculator can help.
- At this point, it's fine to estimate your expenses. For inspiration, check out these example business plans (See Step 2 to find out more about business plans).
- The guide to Government of Canada services and support for small business offers the tools entrepreneurs need to prosper in the new economy.
- Find out how you could look for windows of opportunity, consult BDC's article Turning your idea into a succesful business.
- Is your idea original? Search over 1,400,000 patents from the last 75 years in the Canadian Patents Database.
- These online business magazines have articles that are particularly useful for start-ups: