A different kind of bank
We are Canada’s business development bank and the only financial institution dedicated exclusively to entrepreneurs.
Our mission is to help create and develop strong Canadian businesses through financing, consulting services and securitization, with a focus on small and medium-sized enterprises.
Through our subsidiary—BDC Capital, we also offer a full spectrum of specialized financing, including venture capital, equity as well as growth and business transition capital.
- BDC supports entrepreneurs in all industries and at all stages of development from more than 100 business centres across Canada and online at bdc.ca.
- We’re committed to the long-term success of Canadian entrepreneurs and have the tools and experience to help make it happen.
- We complement the role played by private-sector financial institutions and have been serving Canadian entrepreneurs since 1944.
- With BDC, entrepreneurs have the peace of mind that comes with having an experienced, knowledgeable and committed adviser in their corner.
- We understand that a business is more than just dollars and cents. That’s why we look at it as a whole, including the owner’s vision for the future.
- We are a financially sustainable Crown corporation and we operate at arm’s length from our sole shareholder, the Government of Canada.
- We’ve been profitable every year since 1997, paying $363 million in dividends to our shareholder.
BDC across Canada
We are proud to support the growth of over 30,000 small and medium-sized Canadian businesses.
Our employees are in the business of supporting Canadian entrepreneurs to take their business further.
100+ business centres
As Canada’s development bank, we need to be where entrepreneurs are.
Free resources and advice for entrepreneurs
We know it’s not easy being an entrepreneur. That’s why BDC provides free resources and advice to help entrepreneurs maximize the potential of their company over the long term.
Visit our Advice centre